Understand Your Tests: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Test
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is a virus that targets a specific type of immune cells called CD4 T lymphocytes (CD4 Cells) and destroys them. CD4 cells help the body’s immune system fight off bacteria, viruses, and other germs.
As more CD4 cells are being destroyed, the weaker the infected person’s immune system becomes, thereby making them susceptible to a host of various infections and diseases. When HIV is left untreated, it rapidly degenerates into Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS).
HIV can be transmitted through contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids like blood, semen, breast milk, vaginal and rectal fluids. The most common modes of transmission are through having unprotected sexual intercourse and sharing needles or with an infected individual.
There is currently no known cure for HIV but with proper medical care, people infected with HIV can live long healthy lives.
Why do I need to get tested?
An HIV test is the only sure way to know your status. Knowing your status helps keep you and your sexual partners safe and healthy.
How often do I need to get tested?
You should get tested for any of the following reasons:
- If you or your sexual partner(s) have recently been diagnosed with another Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- If you have had unprotected sex
- If you have shared needles
- If you suspect you might have HIV or are unsure of your status
- If you are sexually active, it is advisable to undergo a test regularly, at least once every three months.
What is the testing process like?
An HIV test is usually quick and painless. It involves the collection of samples; either saliva or blood. It is advisable to get tested again within one to three months after your initial test to ensure the virus doesn’t go undetected in the window period.
Where can I get tested?
To get tested at the comfort of your home, visit www.healthtracka.com to book your test and schedule a sample collection appointment. Getting tested is quick and easy, you will be asked for a blood sample, a swab, or ask to pee in a cup. It is fast, convenient, and affordable.
What is the testing process like?
- Order for your test: Order for your pre-wedding test preferable package, select and pay for the package.
- Get your samples taken: Choose to have our medical team come in for home sample collection.
- Receive your results online: Your digital results will be sent to you by email 24-48hrs after the sample gets to the lab. You can view or download the results to share with your doctor.
The benefit of Healthtracka’s home testing is that you’re able to collect the sample in the privacy of your home without the need for a hospital or lab visit.
What if any of my tests come out positive?
You are in good hands when you book your test with Healthtracka. In the case of a positive result, you can review your results with any of our doctors who will take you through what your next steps should be. Also, inform your sex partners. Your partners need to be treated, because you may have passed some infections back and forth.
‘Our vision at Healthtracka is to empower every Nigerian to take control of their health, prevent diseases and effectively manage existing medical conditions with the help of at-home health testing’.